The communications specialist conducts public relations and marketing activities including PR campaigns, podcast and video production, social media management, blog writing, book marketing, and grant writing. Incumbent supervises one or two interns per semester. This is a full-time salaried position. Incumbent works in an office in Arlington, Virginia.
1. Public Relations and Communications
- Build CASSE communications networks among public, media, policymakers, organizations, colleagues, volunteers, and students
- Design PR campaigns to communicate CASSE goals and concepts
- Develop marketing strategies for increasing CASSE membership, volunteerism, and endorsement
2. Podcast Management and Production
- Maintain weekly production schedule for The Steady Stater podcast
- Identify, assess, and invite potential guests
- Draft interview scripts
- Manage sound testing and recording logistics
- Produce episodes
- Distribute “e-blasts” to subscribers
- Manage audio streaming accounts at Buzzsprout, Spotify, etc.
3. Social Media Management
- Monitor highlights of news cycle
- Manage Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts
- Post daily on Twitter and weekly on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Perform data analytics to evaluate performance
4. Video Production and Management
- Produce occasional videos and mini-videos for PR campaigns or website enhancement
- Manage YouTube account
- Negotiate video-sharing agreements
5. Other Responsibilities
- Write approximately one article per month for the Steady State Herald (CASSE blog)
- Develop book marketing plans for the Steady State Press
- Supervise interns
- Draft grant proposals
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
The candidate must be familiar with the communication tasks as reflected in the duties listed above. Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, Photoshop, and email list management programs such as MailChimp. Candidate should have a basic knowledge of WordPress or closely related website software. Candidates with podcast and video production experience (including software such as Cleanfeed and Riverside) are preferred. An interest in sustainability and/or ecological economics is preferred. The ideal candidate would already be familiar with the concept of a steady state economy. Understanding of and concurrence with the CASSE mission and position on economic growth is required.
Supervision and Logistics
Supervision: The communications specialist is supervised by the executive director. Given instructions, the communications specialist is expected to be independently productive for significant periods of time. The executive director prioritizes duties as needed and has final discretion on CASSE operations.
Office: 4601 N. Fairfax Drive — Suite 1200, Arlington, Virginia 22203
Starting Salary: $45,000–$70,000 depending on education and experience. Standard benefits package. Promotion potential depending on performance.
Starting Date: September or October, 2022 (with some flexibility)
To apply: Send resume, copies of transcripts, and contact information for three references to: email@example.com
For more information, contact:
Brian Czech, Executive Director