The Development Manager plans, coordinates, and implements fundraising strategies, programs, and events. The focus is on major gifts and foundation grants, with additional efforts in the pursuit of member recruitment. The Development Manager performs these tasks directly and supervises interns who assist at various stages. Administrative duties central to the job (such as database management) are also required.
- Surveys non-profit organizations to generate ideas for potential funding sources and strategies.
- Establishes CASSE accounts at Guidestar and the Foundation Center (now known as “Candid”).
- Investigates Foundation Center database for potential “fits” with CASSE mission.
- Develops database of potential CASSE philanthropists.
- Drafts annual Development Plan for fundraising programs, grant cycles, membership drives, and events.
- Posts development deadlines on CASSE group calendar.
- Coordinates budgeting with Executive Director to prioritize fundraising efforts and to ensure adequate resources for development programs.
- Establishes networks designed to build awareness of CASSE among philanthropists and foundations.
- Coordinates with Communications Specialist to get press releases and social media postings noticed by potential funders.
- Coordinates with Managing Editor to ensure CASSE publications are attractive to potential donors.
- Coordinates with Internship Coordinator to identify and supervise development interns.
- Organizes calls and meetings—in person and online—with potential funders.
- Maintains database of individuals whose CASSE memberships have expired.
- Builds and maintains CASSE profile at Guidestar.
- Writes and submits grant proposals to foundations.
- Sends emails and letters to individual philanthropists.
- Conducts and oversees phone-calling campaigns, often with assistance of CASSE interns.
- Maintains log of all communications with potential funders.
- Establishes online fundraising campaigns via GoFundMe, GlobalGiving, etc.
- Establishes system for annual, automated, individualized membership renewal.
- Scripts “non-commercial breaks” for weekly podcasts.
- Writes annual Giving Tuesday article for CASSE blog.
- Contributes content for the Steady Stater (CASSE newsletter).
Skills and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree is required; a graduate degree is preferred.
- One year of relevant development experience at a non-profit required.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills are required.
- A successful track record soliciting and stewarding major gifts from individuals and foundation is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of Microsoft Office software is required.
- Agreement with and support for the CASSE mission is essential.
Supervision and Logistics
Supervisor: The Development Manager is supervised by the Executive Director. Given instructions, the Development Manager is expected to be independently productive for significant periods of time. The Executive Director prioritizes duties as needed and has final discretion on CASSE activities and operations.
Office: 4601 N. Fairfax Drive — Suite 1200
Arlington, VA 22203
Location: This position is based at the Arlington, Virginia CASSE office. Regular office visits are required. A hybrid arrangement of office and telework may be considered for exceptional candidates.
Starting Salary: $50,000–$65,000 depending on education and experience. Standard benefits package including health insurance and SIMPLE IRA options. Promotion potential depending on overall performance.
Starting Date: Spring, 2022
To apply: Send resume, cover letter, a writing sample, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact:
Brian Czech, Executive Director