The Steady State Herald is CASSE’s blog, one of the leading outlets on the steady state economy as the sustainable alternative to growth. It is intended for an informed but general readership. We publish one article per week, usually on Thursdays.
The Steady State Herald highlights content that focuses on limits to growth (population growth and economic growth), ecological and steady-state economics, and degrowth. We also cover the conflict between economic growth and: 1) environmental protection, 2) economic sustainability, 3) national security, and 4) international stability. Articles on the politics, policies, and culture of growth are also welcome. We encourage writers to read previous posts to see what we publish.
Please follow the instructions when submitting an article. The instructions are crucial for editorial efficiency and for “search engine optimization,” a key factor in getting your article circulated.
- Articles must be polished, penultimate drafts. Very little editing should be required. Articles requiring significant editing will be rejected
- Articles must comprise 1,000-2,000 words. Each article must include the following:
- Two to four headings (which appear only after a few introductory paragraphs).
- Hyperlinks to quotations or statistics obtained online.
- Literature citations for research publications or books referenced in the article. (Use footnotes rather than embedded citations.)
- In addition, below your article or in a separate document, please include:
- Three to five suggested keywords (and/or short key phrases).
- A suggested meta-description of 20-30 words that contains at least one of the suggested keywords. (The meta-description will appear in Google search results.)
- A draft “email blast.” Use the format demonstrated in Appendix 1. A finalized email blast will be circulated among Herald
- You are welcome to submit two to three images (photos, graphs, figures) along with your article. If you choose to do so, please make sure they are available under a Creative Commons license.
- Submit the article to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday of the week preceding publication. Use subject line “Last Name, First Name – Steady State Herald Submission.”
- Articles must be provided as Word documents. Please save the file as “Last name, First Initial – Title of Article.” For example, “Smith, J – Limits to Growth.”
- If you wish to publish your article elsewhere in the future, you must credit the Steady State Herald as the original publication in your byline. The standard credit should be, “Originally published on [date] by the Steady State Herald.” The credit line should include a link to your article from the phrase “originally published.” Alternatively, “Steady State Herald” may be linked to https://steadystate.org/category/steady-state-herald/ .
Questions? Email email@example.com
Format for draft email blasts.
The author should only submit the proposed subject line and the two descriptive paragraphs. In other words, the author submits the portions in red font below. Submit these by email text or as an attachment. Ensure that each paragraph comprises 30-40 words (that is, three lines per narrow paragraph, as below).